Temple History
Located within the Kalna Rajbari Complex, the Lalji temple is about 2km from the Kalna Railway Station. This temple was commissioned by Maharaja Kirti Chand Rai, son of Maharani Braja Kishori Devi, in the year 1739. The origin story of the Lalji temple is particularly remarkable. As per temple lore, one day Queen Braja Kishori Devi came across a sannyasi named Lal Ji, who had a very beautiful idol of Baal Goapala. The queen immediately wanted to have that beautiful idol of Lord Krishna. She requested the ascetic to marry his Krishna idol to the Radha idol belonging to her family. The sannyasi accepted the proposal without thinking twice. However, once the wedding ceremony was done, Braja Kisori refused to return the idol to the sadhu, claiming that according to her family traditions, sons-in-law (Lord Krishna in this case) stay with their in-laws. The sannyasi was disheartened, but he couldn’t separate a newlywed couple from each other. Because of this selfless act of the Sannyasi, the temple was named after him. His sacrifice will be remembered as long as the temple is standing.

